• 1 cup red rice
• ¼ cup yellow moong dal
• 1 cup grated jaggery
• ½ tsp cardamom powder
• 2 cups of water
• Wash and soak red rice for 1 hour.
• After 1 hour drain the water.
• Spread this in a neat clean cloth and let it dry under fan for 20-30 mins.
• Grind this in a mixie to a coarse powder.
• It should be like rava/sooji consistency.
• Add moong dal to the mixie and pulse twice or thrice. Do not make it to a fine powder.
• In a vessel add jaggery and 2 cups of water to filter the impurities.
• In a kadai add 2 tbsp of ghee and pour the filtered jaggery water.
• Add cardamom and mix. Let it boil.
• Reduce the flame to slow and start adding the rice gradually.
• Add the moong dal and mix evenly.
• Cook this in slow flame for 15-20 mins.
• If you cannot keep stirring, once it becomes thick, keep this in pressure cooker. Once the steam comes, put the whistle and let it cook for 5 mins.
• Once it gets cooked in the kadai, switch off the stove. If cooker once the steam goes, open the cooker.
• Let it come to warm temperature.
• Grease the idli plate with ghee.
• Take small portion of the dough and make it to a ball shape.
• Keep this in the steamer and let it cook for 12-15 mins.
• Our super tasty healthy red rice modak/kozhukattai is ready to serve Ganesha on Ganesha Chathurthi.
For reference please click the above youtube link.